Summing up and moving on



Some 12 weeks ago the ONL course started, and the first topic was about digital literacies. I reflected on that by putting together a graph over my own digital literacies – strengths and short-comings. Now it is time to revisit that graph and see what has happened during these weeks.

I thought by doing this I would have seen a marvelous development and increased skills, but it turns out it is quite the same or less than before. Why? Have I failed? Of course one have to consider that this is a subjective self-evaluation, still, why do I think that I know less,  and have fewer skills now than before?

The draw-backs are seen in communication and collaboration (i.e. participating in digital networks for learning and research), career and identity management (promoting myself in digital media) and ICT literacy (i.e.to adopt, adapt and use digital tools and applications). Well, I think it is the classic case of ‘the more you learn the less you know’. You come to realize that what you know is just a fraction of all there is to know, so I have become more humble in these aspects.

However, my skills did improved in other literacies (according to myself). I have improved on media literacy, especially aspects such as to creatively produce academic communication in various media. I also have improved my learning skills, how to benefit from information accessed through digital media.
Accomplished skills (selection of the most desirable): Avatar-provider for my colleagues, tilting textboxes in Prezi, how to create gifs, increased awareness of digital tools to use (I know loads of them), kick-ass meme-maker.

This course has had a positive impact on my creativity, it has awoken my curiosity and increased my interest of finding ways to benefit from digital learning environments. The group work has been rewarding in several ways; we have learned from each other, explored together and most importantly created a non-prestigious, laid-back, warm climate within the group. Even if we have been deadline surfers, exposed clear difficulties on focusing and make timely decisions we have had a great time. The key factor to this is that it has always been about learning, not about grades.

Several studies have found that students often base their self-worth on academic competence as measured by external sources such as grades. This has been found to correlate with more stress, anger, academic problems, and relationship conflicts. From my own teaching experience I have found that poor performing students are left out in group works, since other students do not want their grades decreased or be negatively affected. Therefore is not collaborative tasks always seen as something positive or enjoyable by the students. Moreover, some students link grades to intelligence, where a student that does not put a lot of effort in an assignment and still get a high grade is seen as intelligent. The conclusion is that smart people maximize their grades while minimizing their effort. From an educational perspective the goal would rather be to maximize learning and optimizing the effort it takes.

Thank you for these 12 weeks. It has been joyful, interesting and totally without pressure on performance. I wish this could be translated into the learning environments of the university. Even though grades are an inevitable part of the educational system, I hope we can spark little interest and award in the learning in itself.


References:

Photo on top by Johannes Plenio at Unsplash.com

Kommentarer

  1. Thank you for these comments. I often get questions about why ONL does not offer formal credits and you have answered this question well here. What would happen if we decided to offer say 3 credits for this? Would more teachers at Lnu be interested?

    SvaraRadera
  2. I think that credits would attract some teachers, but that will also imply more pressure which on the other hand may scare other teachers off. For most staff I think a certificate is just fine, you can add it to your CV and show that you have participated in this. Like I said in the blog, the winnings of this course is the learning in it self and to share thoughts and ideas with other teachers around the world. To get introduced to a community.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I agree, it would both attract more teachers to the course, and scare some away.
      I Think it is good to have it as it is focusing on trying out methods and technology. Can this focus be kept also with credits?

      Radera
    2. Maybe, but I think it also depends on the criteria for the credits. My experience of using group assignments in my teaching is that it almost always comes emails from students about how to divide the work between them in a way that is fair and making sure that students who have difficulties delivering assignments will not stand in the way of other students getting a high grade on the assignment. I believe it is kind of a self-centered perspective, however, I think we have fostered that perspective throughout our educational system. So, to answer your question, I don't know if we teachers are more altruistic and would focus on the learning experience over the credits.

      Radera
  3. I understand the feeling of the more you learn the less you know….
    It is like Peps Persons song with the text (if the memory doesn't fail me) "Det var enklare för när jag visste allting, nu är frågorna flera och svaren lika så" (It was easier before when I knew everything, now there are more questions as well as answers).

    SvaraRadera

Skicka en kommentar

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

To be or not to be Open…That is the question

Hello? Is it anyone out there?